Campus Nights are select performances throughout the Minnesota Orchestra season that include activities devoted to students. These activities range from backstage tours to photo booths! These nights allow opportunities to meet musicians and get to know Orchestra Hall. Students are able to attend concerts for just $12 with a valid student ID. Our current Campus Night performances are listed below.
Want to be an advocate for Minnesota Orchestra on your campus?
Campus Night Concerts of the 2019-2020 Season
About This Concert
Prepare to be stunned by the percussive journey of Aho’s concerto, then enchanted by the ornamental wonder of Rimsky-Korsakov’s universally-revered Scheherazade. Special guests for this concert are the Sphinx Virtuosi—one of the nation’s most dynamic professional chamber ensembles, comprising 18 top Black and Latinx classical soloists—who will open the concert with two South American showpieces and join the Orchestra for an unforgettable Scheherazade.
Fuga con Pajarillo, from Suite No. 1 for Strings / 7 min
Fuga y misterio / 6 min
Sieidi, Percussion Concerto / 36 min
INTERMISSION / 20 min
Scheherazade / 47 min
- Minnesota Orchestra
- Osmo Vänskä, conductor
- Martin Grubinger, percussion
- Sphinx Virtuosi, chamber orchestra
- For Aho’s propulsive percussion concerto, the soloist moves from drums to marimba to vibraphone to tamtam.
- The New York Times has praised soloist Martin Grubinger’s “monstrous fluency” and “ambidextrous talent.”
- Rimsky-Korsakov’s masterpiece Scheherazade is an orchestral suite based on the Middle Eastern folk tale collection One Thousand and One Nights, or Arabian Nights.
- The Sphinx Organization is a Detroit-based national organization dedicated to transforming lives through the power of diversity in the arts.
- The Sphinx Virtuosi’s national tour this season includes performances at Carnegie Hall, Miami’s New World Center and St Paul’s Ordway Center.
Student Ambassadors are highly motivated, self-sufficient high school, undergraduate or graduate students of any major who help spread the word about student discounts on their campuses and schools.
Participating students help promote Campus Night concerts in exchange for complimentary Minnesota Orchestra tickets and other extras. Campus Night concerts are concerts featuring free pre- and post-concert activities just for students.