Orchestra will perform Friday, March 13, concert for live radio broadcast audience on Classical MPR
The Minnesota Orchestra is cancelling two weeks of concert performances and events—beginning tomorrow, Friday, March 13, and running through Monday, March 23—in an effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19. All ticketholders are being notified directly of the cancellations and offered a variety of options around their tickets.
The Orchestra will perform the Friday, March 13, concert for radio broadcast only. Led by conductor Juanjo Mena and featuring piano soloist Kirill Gerstein, with a program of Rachmaninoff’s Second Piano Concerto and Shostakovich’s Seventh Symphony, the performance will be held at Orchestra Hall without a live audience. Listeners can tune in to stations of Classical Minnesota Public Radio, including 99.5 FM in the Twin Cities, or stream at classicalmpr.org worldwide beginning at 8 p.m., CDT.
“We have made the decision to land on the side of caution for our audiences and to play our part in the wider community effort to help slow the transmission of COVID-19,” said President and CEO Michelle Miller Burns. “I’m humbled by the fact that our musicians want to play Friday’s concert for the listening public, and we’re grateful to MPR for making this possible.”
The Cloud Cult collaboration with the Minnesota Orchestra slated for Friday, March 20, and Saturday, March 21, will be rescheduled later in 2020. The new dates will be communicated directly to ticketholders as soon as they are available.
The Orchestra will announce on or before Tuesday, March 24 whether any additional concerts on its calendar will be cancelled.
The following concerts have been cancelled:
- Friday, March 13, 2020, 8 p.m. / Gerstein Plays Rachmaninoff [offered as a live broadcast only]
- Saturday, March 14, 2020, 8 p.m. / Gerstein Plays Rachmaninoff
- Sunday, March 15, 2020, 2 p.m. / Gerstein Plays Rachmaninoff
- Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 10 a.m. and 11:35 a.m. / Young People’s Concerts
- Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10 a.m. and 11:35 a.m. /Young People’s Concerts
- Friday, March 20, 2020, 8 p.m. / Cloud Cult [will be rescheduled to a later date]
- Saturday, March 21, 2020, 8 p.m. / Cloud Cult [will be rescheduled to a later date]
- Sunday, March 22, 2020, 2 p.m./ Relaxed Family Concert
- Sunday, March 22, 2020, 4:30 p.m. / Chamber Music concert
- Monday, March 23, 2020, 12 p.m. / Musical Mindfulness [will be rescheduled to a later date]
The Minnesota Orchestra Ticket Services Office will be directly in touch with all ticketholders. For maximum efficiency, ticketholders are encouraged wait to receive communication from the Orchestra that will outline a variety of options around their tickets.
For more information, please visit www.minnesotarorchestra.org for further information and updates.